Friday 22 February 2013

Early Jobs....

Chittin' 'taters....

It's not quite spring, but as I walk around the garden It's becoming evident that it's on its way. Spangles of low sun patchwork what's left of the lawn after such a wet winter, with variegated patterns of light. The fallen leaves that covered the paths with carpets of gold in the autumn like treasure strewn across a cave floor, are now mulched into the soil providing nutrients for the year to come. Although the bracken hasn't uncurled from the woodland soil, the bitter cress is spreading its fingers in hidden parts of the yard and the daffodils are growing taller each day. It's now light for about 10 hours, the sun is higher in the sky and the buds on the trees are turning the aspect of the woods into a brushwork of textures and colours of expectation for the burst of early leafy life to come.

Everywhere is wet through...

The chickens are becoming more aware too. Poor Dilly Dilly our Lavender Bantam, is being stalked and put upon by our cockerel, Charlie - a hulking giant of a chicken compared to poor Dilly, who stands beneath him when he's crowing, looking up lovingly at him as he cries to the skies, yet she squawks so loudly when he tries it on that you would think he was murdering her. The first time I heard her I thought we had foxes in the run.

There are still jobs to do outside, though sometimes the cold and the lack of daylight hours can reduce the time available. I try and spend 30 or 60 minutes outside each day if I can. There are bean poles to be foraged - hazel is best - it grows pretty straight and is easy to cut if you have to. The beds need digging over and I like to cover them then with tarpaulin or old compost bags, this keeps the weeds back a bit and also warms up the soil a little too. This is quite important because it takes the ground quite a while to absorb the sunlight to a depth that will have an impact on young seedlings. I also ensure that my bags are inside up, because black looks far better than the garish colours that the bags can come in.

Foraged bean poles...

Then there are pots to be prepared for the seeds, having them ready to fill with soil just saves a bit of time later, mine are stacked outside the tunnel. I have also started some veggies off in the poly tunnel; broad beans, leeks and some parsley as well as the strawberry plants are all in. Soon, I'll sow the other beans, except Borlotti - it's not warm enough for them yet, even inside the tunnel.

The most important early year job is to chit my potatoes; allowing the eyes to produce shoots gives them a great head start when they are planted after the frosts. I put the potatoes into egg cartons to keep them safe and put them in a bright, draught free place - my bedroom currently! But not for much longer I suspect.

There are many things to do before the warm weather arrives and turns plans into manic hours of fire fighting as everything needs attention at once. Best to try to keep ahead if you can.

I wish I could.