Saturday 22 June 2013

Keeping Score



A flash of  cobalt in the late afternoon sun.


Most anglers can tell you, pretty much instantly, the weight and capture details of their largest fish. These details are embedded in the memory as strongly as the birth of a first child or the last winning of the FA cup by one's football team. (1980, for mine, sadly). Some anglers can go further - telling you more details of their most memorable catches, the dates, home and bait particulars.  Occasionally one finds an angler who can pretty much instantly tell you what he caught on 15th November 1978 and what he had for dinner afterwards. Most pike anglers know who I'm talking about. 

I used to keep a pretty strict diary with all this data itemised, but then I enjoy writing. Nowadays I'm happy to use this blog to capture the essence of the day more than just the bare bones of the results. It has become more important to me to look back on the memories of the day rather than just the statisics. Many anglers would say that angling is more than just catching fish, but sometimes it can take an inordinately long time to figure that out. I really used to enjoy writing about my social trips - especially Scotland - a country that is easy to romanticise and depict in writing. 

Non fishermen often ask what you think about when you're fishing; life, problems, philosophical dilemma, but all I ever usually think about is fishing. How to catch, what on, where. Harry and I pretty much chat about these things all through our sessions together particularly the where, and it's usually late in the day after a few fish have been caught before the topic turns to ' how's the wife?' or 'work ok?' Sad, but true. It doesn't mean we don't care, of course we do, but, well,  we're fishing and that's pretty important too. 

I do tend to keep a mental tally of "Fish versus Mike" as the day goes on. If I catch a fish, well that's one to me, if I get a take and miss it or the fish comes off before I land it, that's one to the fish.  It's not because I'm bored and have to keep my mind active either, it's just an aberration; I've always done it so I always  do it.  It's a funny thing but it keeps my mind active I suppose. 

Maybe I'm weird.  

Harry thinks I am. 

By the way, today's score was 3 - 2 to me!