Thursday 17 May 2012

Chickens - The Serial


Posts, postcrete and wire - £30

Well, the acquisitions have moved on - not for nothing unfortunately, some cost was involved but I did get some good bargains. The first items were the water holder and the red mite powder which were given as a gift from our neighbours whose animals we looked after for a while. Then I was given an idea about  a wood yard opposite us and after some negotiation I picked up 50 metres of chicken wire and 5 posts for £30. I was quite pleased with that, actually, especially as I had some postcrete left over from a recent fencing job. Foraging isn't just about food you know...I also forage for firewood in the woods around us and this chicken keeping project is also about acquiring things as cheaply as possible - even bartering if I can. Five posts are needed for the four corners and a door post. I intend to dig the wire in at least a foot and a half into the ground and cement it in too. The posts will be over 6 feet high and the wire will extend loosely beyond this to discourage any foxy climbing. If a cat can get in, so can a fox and I'm determined not to lose my hens to foxes.

Our eggs are being incubated by Babs right now and will be grown on for us, so I still have a few weeks yet. Two posts are in and I have to find some more concrete, but apart from the work of assembly, most of which is digging, I'm pretty close now. Updates to follow.

Water Feeder and Red Mite Powder