Tuesday 1 May 2012

Jack-By-The-Hedge (Alliaria petiolata)



Looking very like a nettle, Garlic Mustard, Hedge Garlic or Jack-By-The-Hedge is another fine foraging find when out on your rambles. There is no aroma until the leaves are crushed but then it gives off a delicate garlic smell - a cross between spring onion and wild garlic.

Now is the time to pick it - just as the flowers start to appear - much later and the plant will taste a little rank, but it's easy to find. In the picture I have included some nettles in the foreground for comparison - but this plant has no sting and is easily identified when the leaves are crushed. Use it in soups, salads, and as a delicate addition of  flavour depth to one pot dishes.

As an aside, my apple blossom is now out. I planted my trees a year ago when the Royal Wedding was on TV and Will and Kate kindly gave me a day off to dig them in. Five of the six trees took and I'm hoping for at least a dozen apples this year.