Sunday 13 May 2012

The New PAC Committee




The new PAC Committee has been installed for a fresh three year term and as a Twice Committee member (well, one-and-a-half really - and a small time one at that) I know firstly how much enthusiasm they have for their posts and, secondly, how much they're going to need it.

There are many who are foremost to complain and moan, yet last in line to volunteer, so my sincere best wishes to the new team who have had the courage to put the love of their sport above the lethargy of many, and the commitment to use their time to further the cause of Pike and Pike Fishing.

Dilip Sarkar MBE

The President, Dilip Sarkar MBE has already taken the bull by the horns - or perhaps that should be the Bear by the Balls - and shared some of his thoughts with Rob Shallcroft of The Pike Pool. In an act of selfless courage he has opened himself up to that minority of sofa critics, keyboard warriors and Moaning Myrtles who take great satisfaction in disparaging the efforts of the few who actually get off their arses to do something.


The new committee

I have written my small piece for Pikelines Magazine as a final farewell and replicate it below. As I mentioned my part was honestly a small one to play in the overall running of the club, but I enjoyed the work, the craic and the enthusiasm of many who work for no reward to protect a sport that many perceive as pointless. Long may the enthusiasm, the dedication and the tireless tenacity of the few continue to protect the minority sport of the many.

Goodbye, and thanks for all the fishing…

I’ve said this before, but I think that of all the fishing fraternities, Pikers are the most militant, the most likely to speak out against wrong-doing, the most protective of their quarry and the least likely to suffer fools.

Although hardly saints themselves in many cases, they will not sit idly by and watch while others kill pike for no reason other than a misguided belief that doing so will afford a level of protection to other species. Often, they will not tolerate fish killing at all – even for consumption.

It is said that some pet owners come to resemble their pets – perhaps this is true of fisherman and their target fish, for I firmly believe that Pike Fishermen are tenacious, aggressive and dynamic, much like the pike itself.

That’s why I love both Pike and Pike Anglers.

I have been fortunate enough to have worked with two committees and in both cases, the level of concern for the pike has been paramount. The sudden bursts into action when a threat to our fishing has been detected, and the tenacity and rugged determination to win the case has been supreme and I have every reason to believe that the next committee will continue at the same level of intensity.

I leave the Advertising in the very capable hands of Chris Liebbrandt – a well known angler of some distinction and renown – a fact which gives me great peace of mind - and I sincerely wish him the very best for the future. I extend the same thoughts to the rest of the new committee and offer my thanks to John, Graham, Tim, Chico, Mark, Colin, Chris, Mick and Skip for the wonderful work they have done. As for Steve Ormrod – well, suffice it to say that as an Editor, Designer and publisher he has been a pleasure to work with, always polite and ever efficient he is an asset to the PAC. As a fisherman – he is annoying. Clever, active and successful, he will always find triumph through determined persistence and thoughtfulness.

The PAC is in very good hands.